It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-06-24

New drive

I had to replace one of the hard drives in my main computer. It is making a click noise occasionally. This is a death rattle. it is an old IDE drive. yes, my computer is that old. I bought a second rive that is SATA a couple years ago. It seems to be running just fine. Both drives are about 120G drives. The new one is a 1.5 terabyte drive. It does run hot. What is the deal with that? Everything has gotten hotter over the last several years it seems. When did drives start running hot?

I tried to mirror the boot drive over to the new drive, but it wouldn't boot properly. It seemed to have something to do with the name of the drive or something. Still, I really didn't feel like messing with it so I just installed Ubuntu on the new drive. It may take longer than fixing the existing install, but it is less stressful. Now I need to install all the software I use and configure everything.

The system boots in like twenty seconds. It shuts down in no time flat. Ubuntu has made huge strides in this area. Nice. Even my old HP laptop boots much faster under Ubuntu than it did under XP. That is not nearly as impressive because XP was a disaster. Still. Nice.

No comments: