It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-05-08

Mad Skills

My blog skills came in handy this morning. The big boss wanted to get people with laptops a lock mechanism they can use quickly and easily. I went straight to the manufacturer we normally use and looked at their solution. It actually looked like a good solution. It uses the lock slot on the laptop. I'm not sure if the ultra thin laptops come with a lock slot, but every other laptop I've seen has them.  They are all about the same dimensions too. I went around and looked at prices. Honestly, the OEM was competitive.

I then remembered a guy who had defeated old style laptop locks. I looked up the video for it and sent it along too. It is important in my opinion to tell people those locks are a deterrent not a fix. The lock will hopefully stop snatch and grab burgers. Hopefully, anyone with enough on the ball to defeat one of these locks is after different fish.

They work, not every time, but they do work. I have two personal anecdotes. A) A buddy at my old job had a son who's laptop was stolen from his dorm room. His roommate's laptop, on the desk across from his son's laptop, was fine, because it was locked to the desk with a lock like the one I suggested. B) My old job had a satellite office broken into. Electronics were taken, but no laptops because they were all locked to the desk.

From now on, when I post a dream laptop, it will include a link to a lock.

No comments: