It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-12-27

Subtitles

Subtitles are death to me. I have the ability to read, but at about half the speed of a slow reader. When I attempt to read subtitles, I get about half way through most sentences before they flip to the next line. It is unacceptable.

If I pause in Hulu too many times, I get the browser in a state where it just doesn't respond properly. Eventually, the browser hangs and refuses to start playing the video again. This problem doesn't happen on other sites. I really thing Hulu has a problem with their system related to a great deal of use.

The pausing issue doesn't seem to happen as much in the early hours of the morning. My machine and browser have been up all day. The difference seems to be the number of people using Hulu at the same time I'm attempting to do so.

I've never been able to keep up with subtitles  when my friends are watching videos with me. TV night was always a challenge if we watched something that had them. I work off of sound and dialogue to tell what is going on in a show for the most part. I miss visual queues all the time. I've learned to just smooth them over and get on with the show. When a film is all subtitles, I might as well be staring at a wall.

I don't do TV night much any more. I suppose it is for the best.

When I watch a movie with subtitles on my computer or even on my TV I can usually pause the video and read. It gets old even when I'm the only one watching. It is just not a natural thing.

What I want is a way for the computer to read, in a very mechanical voice, the subtitles out loud over the show. I don't care if I lose some of the nuance of the show. At least I will get something out of it. If the video software can take a text file and pop the dialogue on the rendered video at a specific time, surely it can feed the text to a text to speech engine at the same time. I could just crank the volume up for the TTS loud enough to over run the audio of the video.

This sound doable. Where is Coy when I need him? This sound like something he would be good at.

No comments: