It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-12-27

Iran on the brink

I don't know if I should pose that title as a question or statement. Iran is a strange entity. 

The Jawa Report has a post gathering several videos on violence being committed against people protesting for their rights to govern themselves. That link has graphic videos. The idea here is to separate the government from the people in your mind. The government of Iran is the beast pursuing nuclear weapons. The people of Iran are fighting the government for the right to Starbucks and European cigarettes.

That argument came up ten years ago. Ten years ago I remember making that same combination of statements. The only thing that has changed is the number of YouTube videos comeing out of the country. There was no channel, forgive the choice of words, by which people inside Iran could reliably and on mass export the realities of their situation.

As much as I do not want Iran to get hold of nukes, I am deeply troubled by the way Iran is being smacked around by the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong. This is a good thing. The method worries me. Europe and the countries in Europe, The U. S., China, Russia and others are all ganging up on one country. The fact that that many previous enemies can gang together to do something that will save the Jews in Israel scares the hell out of me. I don't want this coalition to gang up against me. I don't like the idea of that much power all ganging together to do anything.

I prefer when all of these powerful entities are at each other's throats. They are each smart enough not to start a real fight. Things are settled with diplomatic treachery.When they disagree, I feel more safe than when they agree.

Links

Voice of America

New York Times

Washington Post

Wall Street Journal

Los Angeles Times

Times Online

Links shamelessly lifted from The Long War Journal

No comments: