It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-12-06

Upgrading to Fedora 10

As I type, I'm downloading the DVD for Fedora 10. I've waited this time a bit for the bugs to get worked out of the system. I know it is not good enough. I'll still have some catastrophe steel all my data and delay me from getting what I want out of the cyber world. I don't care. I have some need to be up to date. I do not understand it.

This time I will use the DVD to upgrade. This time I will leave one computer at 9 for a long while before upgrading. I've taken a peak at some forums and there appear to be the normal background hum of troubles and problems.  This is about the way things should be.

Why do some people feel the need to have open source? What happened in the world that tells us we need to put so much effort in to a project that will benefit us so little directly? Why don't we all toe the line and work only for profit? Does the world need open source? The Internet Explorer project was all but shut down in the late nineties. The dust was blown off the project with Mozilla's FireFox. Now that Mozilla is having issues with the realities of software development and under the threat of collapse under it's own internal political crap. There must be ten other browsers climbing out of the woodwork. There is no browser war any more. There is no good guy or bad guy. There is online content and getting to it. This is how it should have been all along.

This is not only the death of the browser as a brand, but it is the death of any one caring what operating system is on their computer. Microsoft and every one else has had the goal of making every one rent software and access it online since the beginning of computers. They all thought that would be a huge cash cow that would allow them to rack in the bucks. What they all missed, is the fact that it would allow any one to get in to the market and compete. It is easy. It is so easy, that any one can do it. Thanks guys. You are about to work yourselves out of a business model.

No comments: