It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-01-14

Movies of late

There is some blow back against special effects and CGI. Some say 3D is finally going to take over and suck. There are so many gimmicks to distract from the bad movies that keep coming out of Hollywood. I'm not the only one who thinks 3D is an attempt at DRM (Data Rights Management). It is to prevent people from being able to just copy movies and distribute them.

I haven't seen a 3D movie. I wanted to go to a 3D movie last summer. Never made it. I wasn't bothered which one to go watch. Elle saw Up in 3D. Nat and i managed to miss all of them.

The experience of eating at Alamo is better than watching a movie in 3D. I would happily watch a 2D movie in a theater where I can have a beer and a BLT while watching the movie. Maybe even finish up with a slab of cheese cake. Worth it.

Besides, I do not want to deal with the glasses. I ware glasses to see and I've heard bad things about doubling up to watch a movie. Not every one's eyes are exactly 2.5 inches apart. The formula just doesn't work for every one. I've heard good and bad things about the technology from a dozen sources. I have no idea if it will work for me until I try it for myself.

Now 3D TVs are coming out. There are a couple of different technologies. There are a couple polarization mechanisms. Sony has a blinking glasses system that sounds interesting. The one that works and does not need glasses is some sort of laser technology that is supposed to be out in a couple years. Pilots use helmets with double heads up displays, one for each eye, that work fantastically from what I've read.

This is just one more way being legally blind is going to bite me in the ass.

Somewhere I read that 2009 was a very good year for movies monetarily. I believe it with ticket prices. Theaters need to remind themselves that they are a cheap way to get out of the house and not an social institution that is too big to be bypassed for some new distraction.

No comments: