It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-01-11

Watch

I used to ware a watch every day. I felt naked without a watch. These last several years, I've gotten out of the habit of waring a watch. I find my phone serves as a pretty good pocket watch.

When I do not ware a watch, I look at my wrist a lot. I mean, every couple of minutes I'm looking at my watch that may or may not be there. You would think I would remember the time for five minutes.

It doesn't have anything to do with memory. When I glance at my watch it is because I'm trying to make a decision on what to do, or making plans and need to know my current location in time. There for, the time is not important. The decision is. So, three minutes later, when I am making a different decision, the time is not held in memory. Thus, I have to look at my watch again.

I used to think this was just me until I heard George Carlin make fun of himself doing the exact same thing.

I've considered a tattoo that says something like "You are not warring a watch stupid!" That wouldn't stop me from looking at my wrist.

I like watches. I like the fashion of warring a watch. I like big bulky heavy watches. I like watches that look like they would stop a bullet. I like analog (dial) watches. I like the sweeping motion of the hands to give me an emotional feel for time. I've blogged about that before.

Once upon a time I complained that so many watches had no numbers. Now I would prefer a diver's watch that has huge hands and blobs of glowing areas in stead of numbers.

Elle likes watches too. I don't think she can tell time. She likes all things that adults do right now. That will flip around eleven or so I predict. Sad, but needed. Kids would never leave the nest I suppose.

No comments: