It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-08-28

How vlogging looks

How vlogging looks

This is Philip De Franco show. This video (the edited version) had over 400,000 hits at the time I wrote this blog post. This is one of the more popular shows on YouTube as far as I can tell. I cannot describe it. Go watch.

What is happening here? He gets asked so often how he does his show that he is putting up some raw footage of him talking to the camera. I could have told you this is how he does it. He has moments of energy and moments of thought. He edits out the moments of thought and planning. The end result is a video that keeps the feel of spontaneity.

Edited version

Unedited version

There is one pretty distinctive place where the videos line up. When he talks about the guy breaking in to Paris Hilton's place he uses both his fists. This is a relatively unique hand gesture and occurs in the first video at about 59 seconds and the second at about 36 seconds.

I wish he hadn't put up the music. It is an awesome song, but I would like the absolute raw footage of one show. I'm an editing nerd though. Maybe that is why he didn't put it up like that. Now I want the song.

There is a ton to learn here. In the edited video you notice a great deal of emotional faces presented. In the uncut video, you notice a lot more what I wall call neutral face time between the moments of energy. This is life. This is like memory itself. We gloss over the boring bits and remember the highlights. Tis approach works in video as well.

Adam, Watch both tese videos and think about Flanking Position.

No comments: