It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-06-27

Gold and Contact Lenses by the gram


A gold-dispensing automatic teller machine (ATM) was on display at Frankfurt's main railway station for a one-day marketing test yesterday.
A one-gram (0.0353 ounce) piece of gold, the size of a child's little fingernail and about as thin, cost 31 Euros ($42.25) -- a 30 percent premium to the spot market price

Contact lense weight is about 0.06 grams.

A one gram sliver of gold is 31 Euros, or 43 dollars at the moment I typed this.

A new box of contact lenses costs me about (140/4) about $35 each. Six lenses in a box makes it a bit less than $6 per lens.

At 0.06 grams each, that is about 16 lenses per gram. At $6 each, that is $96 a gram for contact lenses.

This means, I'm paying over 2 times the cost of gold for my contacts. Three times the heavily marked up cost of gold in a vending machine and in a fancy little guift box.

I heard this story a week ago or more. It has stuck with me. I tried to think of something that I use that costs as much as gold. It dawned on me that contact lenses must cost more than their weight in gold. and I sat down this afternoon to do the math.

My math is not perfect. If you find different numbers please let me know. I would like to wine about this for a long time and I need to make sure the numbers add up. It all hinges on the mas of the contact lens. If you find a better measurement for lenses on average, than my link above please let me know and I can recalculate with better numbers..

No comments: