It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-07-30

Cool Map

I've been playing with Google maps. I've created a private map with our house, my work, a bunch of friend's places, Faire, Place I grew up, my schools and what ever else I could think of. It is funny. I learned that TRF is a bit west of our house. I would have guessed it was a bit east.

There is a function to add photos to the maps. I'm not sure how to do it. I want to add a bunch of photos i took on my commute and attach them to way-points along my way. I don't know why. I just do.

Now more than ever, I wish I had a phone with GPS. I understand some of them can stick the numbers in the pictures and possibly video as it takes them. There has got to be a way to just stick a pin in the map and associate a picture wit it.

You can make public searchable maps  That sounds great, but I'm in to the private ones right now. I wanted to put my places on a Houston map and look at just how far apart everything is. It turns out that ninety five percent of everywhere I go is within a small area. My doctor and eye doctor are much closer to my work than my home. Many of the people I work with live closer to work than do I.

In "The King and I", the king had a map made where his country was enormous compared to Europe and the rest of the world. I can understand the draw to having a cool map. I just wish that Google could somehow take the satellite pictures a bit more often. Our house still has the dog house in the back yard. It has been a couple years since that. Well, before that, the house was not even here. I should count my blessings.

It is fun combining the Street View with satallite information. Then just walking around. There are even bus schedules in some cities. Just wondering around can now be done without leaving the comfort of your computer chair.

No comments: