It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-06-08

Door

Today we worked on the back door. For a long time the back door had been rotted out on the bottom. Today my father came over and I helped him put up a new one. It was easier than I thought. I was hot and those last couple things were quite difficult because we had already eaten a large lunch and were ruined for the rest of the afternoon.

I got up This morning. My parents came over. We measured the door. We stopped at a garage sail I got some cereal bowels. We went to Home depot Looked at storm doors for front and back. They want too much frigging money for those things. We went home with shims, caulk, spray insulation and ... wait for it, a pre-hung door.

The moment we got back, we went to the back yard and started taking the trim off the outside. Then the inside. The outside trim was no good for reuse. It is still Sitting in the back yard. I have to haul it across the street to a local dumpster to get rid of it. We poked and prodded and pried and pulled nails. and pride some more. The frame gave way bit by bit. I hope there are no nails left sitting in the grass around the back door.

We sat the new door, fame and all in the hole left by the old door. My father put in some shims and leveled the door. Then he put in some screws. The leveled again. Then put the we put the inside trim back on. We shimmed some more and then did one of the coolest things. Well, my dad did. We sprayed this bright green insulation between the door and the two by fours. It expanded slowly and climbed the walls like a bulbous florescent B-movie monster. It was great. In the end it trimmed off the wall easily with a hack-saw. The trash can is full of the entire day's leftovers.

My father put up the last bit of trim on the outside after another quick trip to Home Depot to find the perfect piece of wood just lying there. He put on the dead bolt from the old door. I ran some more caulk between the trim and the siding. It is messy, but effective. If you can't be neat, be thick. That is my only advice for insulating things.

It turns out the lock is on sideways and we cannot pull the key out of the lock without unlocking the door. My dad had to put it in twice. Trever is going to take a look at it in the morning. We were trying to hunt him down earlier. He was supposed to be back here by like three in the afternoon. It turns out he wen gaming straight after work and didn't get out until after 22:00. Nat and he are watching 300 as I type.

My father had the coolest drill. It was a Lithium Ion battery drill with a light above the trigger. It was very light and very handy. It had a one handed mechanism for replacing bits that was very handy. It did have the reverse switch in a funky place that I kept hitting. My dad hinted that I could act surprised come Christmas time. =]

No comments: