It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-08-09

Head mounted monocular

Sunday we went over to my parents. Elle showed up ready to swim, but my parents got rid of the little above ground pool because it was too much maintenance. Elle still didn't want to leave when it was time for all the working people to go to bed. I feel bad because Elle asked me later why I wanted to leave my parents and I just said "Shut up Elle." This is after I had called her selfish for wanting to stay past time to go and not being considerate for other people who have to go to work. When Elle complained to Nat, Nat further explained what was going on. She is seven. I need to cute her a break. I was tired. Bad parenting Kelly.

My father helped me make a mounted monocular. He made the first one and I made the second.

The ingredients are as follows.

A rubber pipe fitting, or shoe. The fitting is designed to screw in to a wall and slip the pipe in to. The one we used was rubber and looked like it was made for either half inch or possible three quarter inch. I'm sure I've seen these things before. I bet they sell them by the truck load at Home Depot.

A hat with a thick supportive bill. We used one hat that already had bottle opener mounted on the bill. We used another that was just thick.

Zip ties, oh, and a leather punch for cutting a nice hole in the hat. An, a Sharpie for marking the holes and where the pipe fitting will sit.

The first one worked so well we made two. I'm keeping one at work.

After about five minutes getting used to the thing, I was able to work on my laptop for about an hour and a half. using it. I wanted to do some video editing, but my laptop kept crashing. I tried fixing things. It was both a success and a failure. It was a success because I used the monocular the whole time. It was a failure because I could not find a reason except a bad video driver for the crashing. I couldn't get the error to stay on the screen long enough for it to be useful. There wasn't anything useful in the logs either. Blah.

Other than that, the old laptop works fine. I can play YouTube and hulu videos. I looked on Dell's website for a way to order a Linux laptop. You an search for several, but you cannot select Linux from the list of OS options. I emailed them, but I suppose you have to call them to get linux pre-installed. I'm not paying the Microsoft tax if I can help it. Here I go again about computers.

I ended up falling asleep and missing the majority of the afternoon. Nat tells me a couple things happened that I missed. I'll let her chime in in the comments if she dares.

No comments: