It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-02-14

Keyboard Woes

While in the throws of figuring out how to fix my video editing woes recently, I caused another issue. I got pissed off and smacked my Dell keyboard. It had given me flawless service for years. The shift key stuck. The only way I noticed was the funny way I was shifting from one desktop to the other. The only reason I've had to cuss this keyboard were the little bumps on the index fingers for the home keys. They were very small and easy to miss. Not bad for $10 several years ago.

I tried the keyboard I normally use for my server, but the space bar requires 4000 N to produce a space on the screen. Actually, I think it is just the left side of the space bar that has this issue. The right side seems to work without hesitation. This key bard also has the back-slash in the wrong spot. You know how the back-space key is extra wide, right? Not on this keyboard. Where the left half of the back space sits on a 'normal' qwerty keyboard, this one had the back-slash key. That was maddening too. Back to the server.

After a quick trip to the attic, I now have, wait for it, a Microsoft keyboard on my machine. Yes, I'm using a Microsoft keyboard on a Linux box. Something about that tickles me. It is a keyboard that my dad gave Nat some time ago. He now uses the wireless version, with the same layout. The left shift key sticks a bit, but that may have more to do with hangining out in the attic for four years than build quality. One of the Microsoft split keyboards had the '6' key on the right hand side. This one has it on the left. That would be a no-go feature.

The new keyboard is about a foot taller, another keyboard deeper, and a bit wider than either of the other keyboards or indeed any of the keyboards I've used in a long time. Please forgive at least some of the typoes recently. I know I'm bad enough even with a standard keyboard that I'm used to.

Back to surfing the net and screaming at my computer for other reasons. Normal operations resume now.

No comments: