It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-02-16

Is bidding gambling?

If you have a reserve price on an auction, starting bids below that price should be fraudulent in my opinion. If you won't take any less than X then X is where you should start. If you are afraid of bids stopping at X/10, then don't put it up for auction, or start the bidding higher.

I know people don't get caught up in the excitement and won't bid as high. That is because they are gamblers who have a disease and you are taking advantage. Think about it.

My experience tels me that there are gamblers and every one else. I've know people who would bet on stupid stuff and got nothing out of the experience unless something was on the line. They insisted on some sort of sill be involved beyond chance. This skill might be bartering or haggling. It might be bidding strategy. It might be picking a stock or choosing the right time. It might be poker, snooker or baccarat over the wheels or dice.

it all smells like gambling to me.

Dungeons and dragons doesn't appeal to me so much any more because I want a good narrative over playing the game. I would almost rather read about a great adventure than play a game within a good adventure. Perhaps I am an anti-gambler. I just don't like risk. I wander if this is the problem I've had with women all my life. That is taking a chance. Perhaps I have simply become far too risk averse. Life is a risk. I cross the street on a regular basis. Tell me a legally blind person crossing the street under the best situation is less dangerous than driving on that street.

No comments: