It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-02-07

Attempted HTML5

I'm on Ubuntu Linux 9.10. I tried the latest stable Chromium browser loaded via the deb repo from Google with HTML5 and it just plane didn't work. I joined the HTML5 beta on YouTube. The little graphic pops up with "html5" written below it, then nothing. My machine is not downloading anything. The system is just sitting there.

I unjoined the beta and reverted to Flash.

This is a drag because I just know that Linux is going to be the last OS that has any attention paid to it on the HTML5 subject. I was terrified of Silverlight. That is a Microsoft thing. Fortunately, no one really uses it except Microsoft. I have few needs to hit Microsoft pages at home and work only lets Windows boxes on the internet ironically.

People bitch indecently about the lack of Flash on the iPhone and Android. The new iPad (snicker) doesn't support Flash either. Many netbooks have a hard time with it. I have said that a computer should not be allowed to say it can surf the net until it supports Flash. Those days are over.

The Flash project needs an overhaul of biblical proportion to trim it down and turn it from  a land bound walrus to a sparrow in flight. That, or it needs to be abandon on the web completely and replaced by something designed for the needs of our modern era of internet use. Something extensible and scalable. Hopefully, something that is not controlled by one company.

No comments: