It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-06-18

Work Music

I'm sitting at work and working my ass off. Some jazz drips from my earphones and calms me down. The day doesn't seem so harsh. The world doesn't seem so hot or angry. The jazz sounded a little bit like the Peanuts music. That is not such a bad thing.

Tori Amos came on after that. It was soulful, and sharp She was pleading for something to happen. Icicles hiding from Spring. Some of her stuff is very abrasive and ghostly.

Next Rage against the Machine came on pounding and pissed off at everything. They are like shaving with a dull chainsaw. You are supposed to listen to the lyrics and get a message out of it, but you have to wade through the refuse of a life spent traveling from one angry place to another. I can't get enough.

Loreena McKennitt - The Gates of Istanbul came next. It reminds me of a ring tone on my phone, only much better. Slow and swooping, the song has gravity and mass. it is thick and rich. It moves and lives. Then it is over.

Then a punk song came on called "Death rides a pale cow." Nice break from serious music. This one would fit right in on Doctor Demento. Then again, most of the Dead Milkmen's music would.

Then this song called "all you need is love" came on. I use lower case because the song is so laid back as to not need capital letters. It has become a cliche.

A friend of mine tried to work for King's X a million years ago. He met the singer at a club in Houston back in the early 90s. Said the guy was strange, but in a good way. The job never panned out. Not sure what he was supposed to do. I only believe him because he never made anything else up the entire time I knew him.

Later in the day, when I needed it, Metallica "One" came on. I forgot how much I like that song. It reminds me that songs can tell a story, expose a plight.

No comments: