It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-06-06

OS

Fedora 11 comes out in three days. Not that I think anything cool is coming in 11. At least nothing flashy. It sounds like an incramental upgrade.

Currently, I use Fedora 10 on both my machines. Fedora 10 is hanging after being up for a long time. It reminds me of Windows. I've sounded like a broken record lately. "Fedora reminds me of Windows." I hate saying that. I hate that it is true.  I want to use Linux because it is reliable and stable and gets the job done. I do not know if the Linux world is in some sort of transit, or if people are just trying to get too many features in the next release without fixing the old bugs.

The end of the home computer is nigh. So many people who might just know something about the tech world come round to thinking that the future holds mobile phones as the device of choice for communicating and getting anything productive done. I don't know how the tiny monitor problem will be fixed. I believe it will be fixed at some point.

When I say phone I mean mobile or cell phone. The term has changed. Now, if I mean the kind of phone you plug in to a copper wire, I say land line or home phone.

My desktop will have a computer on if for the foreseeable future. There is a long list of bullets I need addressed before I'll give up the hot box under my desk. Even if it is a notebook.

With my past couple of experiences with Fedora upgrading from 7 to 8 to 9 to 10, I may backup, format and start over this time around. I'm getting sick of strange shit breaking for no good reason after an upgrade. Stupid stuff fails. Only once has the machine broken resulting in loss of data. That had something to do with Grub failing. Once Grub blows a gasket the machine is typically a paperweight.

The U. S. Army finally upgrades to Vista, now that Windows 7 is coming out. They will be an OS behind again. Apparently, a seven year turn around is just too fast for the Military to keep up with. They are waiting for the good MS OS to come out (Windows 7 has some good reviews from tech types) to upgrade to the shitty one.

It used to be huge for an OS upgrade to come around. Now it is no big deal..Computers do 95% of what we need right now. The other 5% is covered by phones and just not done.

The next Android phone is out soon. There is more than one. I've heard tell there is a version that looks exactly like an iPhone with no keyboard. There are plans for netboos as well. Though it appears Android may not be the primary OS on those boxes. It may be a pre-boot OS for obtaining information or making a call without waiting for the computer (Windows) to boot.

My current desktop computer will hold me for a while yet baring failures. Don't know how log that will hod true. It is 32 bit, not that it matters on a desktop system. I don't play games so the limitations are not that big a deal. Maybe I'll get a better computer the next time our company gives away old boxes. We just recycled a bunch of computers that are the same hardware I have now. The next round of boxes will be superior. Not that I can rely on this.

The fact that I do not have to pay for my OS all over again when I upgrade is wonderful. Linux is free.

No comments: