It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-07-03

New Boots

Breaking in new boots sucks. New boots typically get me at the tendon above the heal. I limp around for a bit and complain a lot. I remember in Die Hard where Bruce Willis had no shoes for a good portion of the movie.  It bit him in the butt several times. I've thought of making a movie where our hero has a new pare of boots to break in and gets stuck running around. It would not be as cool as the plot points in Die Hard, but it would vindicate my suffering.

There are many theories of the best way to break in a new pare of boots. I've heard the old west pioneers might have walked through a stream and walked them dry.  Pound the leather with a baseball bat. Or is that for baseball gloves only? Ware three pares of socks the first time, two the second, then to one pare. Grin and bare it. Ware them for a short walk on day one and gradually increase the time and distance over a week or so. the ideas are endless.

Me, I walked a mile and a half in the new shitty socks I bought. I didn't know they were shitty socks until after the mile and a half over tough terrain. At least the boots held up well. I had to double up the socks. The back of the socks, where my heal hits the leather, is already showing some ware. Imagine my feet. I'm just waiting for someone to ask me why I'm limping and grumbling. It seemed to get better, then seemed to get worse, then seemed to get better as the day went on. My feet don't know what to do with the new boots.

I bought two pare. The pull up boots are 11.5 and the lace up boots are 11. I'm not sure I got the correct sizes. That is just how things felt in the store. It is the pull up boots that hit my heal funny. That is always where they get me. I needed new boots because I had two old pare that were both waring out at the same time. The boots and six pare of socks ran just under $150. Yea-gads.

Boots hold a special meaning in my life for some reason. I'm not sure what the deal is. It is important that I ware plane, but functional heavy boots. I ware sneakers/trainers occasionally, but not often. They feel like moccasins. There must be some subconscious point of well being when I ware work boots. I think all my current pares are steel toe. Perhaps they are a sort of security blanket. Not sure I mind.

No comments: