It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-07-20

Blogs suck

I've been reading blogs for quite some time. I've been publishing to one for a while too. I've figured out that my blog is not the only one that has started to suck lately. Well, over the last couple years really. Blogs used to be interesting. Now, there are a bunch of blogs that have rat-holed themselves in to one or other topic. Maybe it is just the election, but I can't bring myself to read some of the blogs I typically frequent. Defense Tech used to have several posts a week. They have just a few. now. The guy who does the blog is off posting on some pay site. Sell-out.

There is a level of complacency that is gathering in the blogsphere. People want something else to move on to. I fear this a bit because blogging is quite an outlet for me.

Blog entry types seem to fall in to categories any more.

  • Heads up - Warning of some kind. Propagation of hoaxes and those stupid emails we all get.
  • Politics/religion/abortion - Could be for or against something. Might be propagating crap that was received in an email from the previous bullet. Some people are just plane making shit up as they go. This category might be called persuasive.
  • Look at me - Say something for the sake of keywords just to get hits.
  • Complaint - This is my specialty. The idiots are out in full force racing around Westheimer and doing donuts. I could go on, but you get the idea.
  • Product pro/con - Say something for or against a product without getting paid for it. This almost seems like a waists of time, but people do it. I suppose it affects local sales a little bit and might keep a friend out of the bad restaurant you just suffered through.
  • Video comment - Rather than commenting on a video on YouTube, LiveLeak or where ever, people, including myself, seem to prefer embedding the video on their blog and making their comments there.
  • Cookie Cutter - This is cat blogging or commenting on pictures you took, particularly of your own kids. This is different than the video comment only because the poster and possibly other relatives is the only one really interested in what is put up.
  • Life altering - Some people only put up epiphanies on their blog. Some put up everything but the good stuff. Readers miss out on day to day stuff and thus forget to read the important stuff. People gripe about their lost childhood or that they have to grow up and get a real job.
  • Informative - The poster vaguely vales something in order to get a message across to someone who reads the blog.
  • Regurgitated news - This is a big one. I did this a lot more in the past. I've tried to sway away from most of it unless I have something to add or a personal anecdote to go in to.

There must be a hundred different categories. I haven't thought of them all by a long shot. The thing is, they are all sounding the same. Maybe it is just me. Maybe main stream news is starting to pick up a bit. Maybe I've just become jaded by all the political blogging that goes on right now. I have found myself heading to the blogs that don't typically do the political thing lately.

No comments: