It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-06-24

New TTS (text to speech)

Found a different program called espeak that works for me. It converts text to speech from the command line. Before you swallow your tung, it works very well. I can not only paste text straight in to the command window, but I can type in breaks between the blocks of text. It also does not have the problem that KTTS had where it reads a huge block as one sentence. That was annoying. Oh, and it doesn't crash every three minutes. I'm telling you, Linux is getting more like Windows every day.

This one is much different. It sounds much more like the old computer generated voices. Remember "Shall we play a game?" All the speed and pitch controls are from the command line. I already rigged up a simple script simply called 'say' that has my favorite settings. Run 'say' and start pasting in to the window. If you want it to stop, hit ctrl-C.  If you want it to pause hit ctrl-S. These are both every day terminal controls.

The work systems do not support the sound libraries to run this software yet. If I had some time, I would hunt them down. It may happen yet. I'm sure it can be done.

This software is bound to piss me off at some point. I'm sure I'll blog about it. Still, some good news.

On an unrelated bitch. No sooner do I get the new TTS working than the news aggregator breaks with some cryptic error. It frigging worked yesterday. Frigging Linux.

No comments: