It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-04-09

Notes on the Islamic world

I keep hearing terms and facts tossed about in the news like every one should know the ins and outs of Islam. I've compiled a short list of notes to help me keep things straight. Please let me know if I have any of this wrong. I'll correct it. These are generalizations to help me get the larger picture from the news and conversations on the subject. There is nothing here you can't get from Wikipedia.

Sunni

Follow the teachings of Muhammad (directly)

Who is Sunni?
  • Al Quida is Sunni
  • Saddam Husein was Sunni
  • Egypt (mostly)
  • Saudi Arabia

Shia (Shiite)

Follow the family of Muhammad called Imams.

Who is Shia?
  • Iran is officially Shia (90%)
  • Pakistan
  • India
  • Iraq - Yes, many Iraqis are Shia even if Saddam was Sunni. That is where all the conflict is coming from.
  • Azerbaijan
  • Afghanistan

Map of the Islamic world

Great map of distribution of both Sunni and Shia Islam from Wikipedia. Kind of gives you an idea of why Iran is so disparate to take as much control of Iraq as they can.

Definitions

Qur'an: The Muslim holy book.

Fatwa: Religions ruling by a scholar of Islam. It is an interpretation of the modern world through the eyes of Islam.

Jihad: Spiritual struggle or the act of achieving a goal for Islam.

Jihadi: As far as I can tell, a made up word used by people fighting mujahideen.

mujahideen: People who are on a jihad. A Muslim warrior.

Sikh

Sikh may ware turbans and have long beards, but they are not Muslim. They are their own religion.

No comments: