It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-09-27

Video
Well, I think I may have finally found the right combination of codecs and settings that allows me to use Cinelerra on my machine. I have been messing with it for weeks. Just ask Nat how annoying I have been about the whole thing. It seemed no matter what I did the render would crash. Normally the program would just go away when I hit the ok button or it would simply render crap and die at 99%. Well, here are the settings that actually made a video last night. I still have some cropping thing set wrong because the video is messed up, but that is my fault.
# QuickTime for Linux
# Audio - MP4
# Video - MPEG 4 (either dual or not)
That is it. I get a .move file that actually plays and has my edits applied. I cannot wait to start shooting video and playing around with editing. I want to transition shots and splice multiple videos together. The real challenge will be getting something that I can put on the web that folks will be able to download.
There is still a long road ahead. Now that I got the one function of rendering working, there are a million more things I have to worry about working or not. I know it isn't my setup because it has been doing the same thing on both my Ubuntu 6.x box and the Fedora Core 5 box. I have also tried multiple versions of the software all over the place. I've even tried compiling it and installing it. I cannot believe I got that to work at all. I think this is the first time for a major piece of software.
I can cut video with Kino, but that is about it. It only works with DV format files really. If you import another video it seems to convert it to DV for the editing. Cinelerra might do the same thing, but it seems to work better for the moment. I'm not even going to go into what functionality Cinelerra has over Kino and most other video editors. If all the functions work, it is a full video workshop program that I bet gives professional programs a run for their money. (especially since Cinelerra is free for amateurs)
My name will be up in lights in no time. I can imagine myself accepting an award for best something-or-other film of 2007. I can also picture myself throwing the camera over the back fence when it becomes a chore in stead of a hobby.
Wish me luck.

No comments: