It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-09-06

Pluto
I had a thought today about a rhyme I learned most of my life ago. Mother Very Early Made Jelly Sandwiches Up Near Pluto. It is the rime I used to remember the order of the planets. Mercury Venus Early Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto. now, there is no Pluto. Someone came to their senses and made it official that Pluto is not a planet. I remember in the sixth grade our teacher telling us Pluto was really too small to be a planet. If Pluto is a planet, then our moon should be a planet too.
Oh, well. It is just one more thing from my childhood that I have to surrender to progress. I carried a pocket knife to school every day. Not for defense or anything, but just because it was handy to have a blade on a daily basis.
I'm going to start sounding like one of those old crotchety types any minute. "Back in my day ..." It is not inevitable. I can make myself stop, for now. If any one has a new rhyme to remember the planets, please let me know. I will probably not remember it for a day, but there is always the internet to look things up on now days. That is a vast improvement over "my day".

1 comment:

obiwanchunn said...

It wasn't the size of Pluto that made it not a planet, it was the fact that it did not clear its orbit from debris.

The moon can't be a planet because it does not only orbit a star -- the one sure-fire requirment of planet-hood.

Personally I think the declassification of Pluto from the ranks of planethood is bunk. Why do planets have to adhere to some bonkers set of rules to be one? Why can't we just say "that's a planet because we say so" and not "a planet must orbit a star, must have enough gravity to form a round shape and must clear its orbit of debris."

Bleh. Pluto got the shaft & all because the astronomers didn't want a 10th planet named Xena.