It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-09-09

Glasses
Glasses are a necessary evil. They sit on my face and help me see more clearly. I hate having to ware them, but every waking moment they are on my face. I have contacts, but I don't ware them that often any more. They are expensive to replace and i don't really have the money right now. I'll save them for Faire.
I've heard that people associate glasses with intelligence. So, if you ware glasses, people may think you are smarter. The Khmer Rouge killed people walking down the street who were warring glasses. They didn't want intelligent people to start anything. Watch all those Hollywood movies where the pretty woman wares glasses during the first couple of scenes, then drops them when she is supposed to turn pretty.
I've warn glasses all my life. I have permanent notches in the side of my head, just above my ear, where the arms ride. When I'm dead, I'm sure a coroner would say "This guy wore glasses all his life."
Warring glasses has come in handy more than once. I've had things bounce off them that would have gone in my eye. I had a wasp try to sting my glasses while I was riding my bike. There are other examples I'm sure.
My father has worn glasses all his life too. He told me a story of when he was in the army, they called the names of all the guys headed for Vietnam from a huge assembly. After it was done, he looked around. Most of the guys left were warring glasses.
My mother has worn glasses all her life too. There is the cutest picture of her somewhere as a child with thick black frames. She has worn contacts since they came out. I remember her boiling them in the eighties. I don't remember if she still wares contacts or not.
So many people are getting surgery to clear up their vision. I don't care how many people get it, I just don't trust doctors around my eyes. I've had eye surgery. it is just plane no fun. I don't care how hard they try to make it sound like a manicure.
Lets see, I have several glasses needs.
# Bifocals for work. I wore bifocals all through school. They had a blatant line and some people did make fun of me for warring pop bottles.
# Sunglasses for every day ware. I now own a pare of prescription sunglasses that I got online for $30. They are just regular glasses with extra tint. I found a place that makes them on the cheep.
# Contacts for going out. I really only ware them at Faire these days. They are too expensive for every day use. They are too much of a hassle anyway. Sometimes I get a wild hair and ware them for a couple of weeks.
# Magnifying glasses for computer. Most of the time at home I just take my glasses off and blow the text up a bit. I sometimes ware regular magnifying glasses (granny glasses) too. Sometimes I ware my regular glasses and a pare of magnifying glasses at the computer because this way, I also get rid of the astigmatism.
# Safety glasses for stuff outside. I have safety glasses that fit over my regular glasses for yard work. I just need to bring myself to ware them on a daily basis.
I hate waring glasses. I wish there were a way to see clearly without surgery, glasses, contacts whatever. I'm not even counting the fact that I'm legally blind with or without them. People who do not need glasses know not their blessing.

P. S. I admit this is kind of a filler piece. I wrote it yesterday, but was too lazy to publish. I should probably hang on to it for a day when I have writer's block, but I'm too lazy for that.

No comments: