It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-09-13

Feminism
I need to do some research on what the heck Feminism really is. I must have the wrong idea. I've heard several times now of women converting to Islam because it is a template of Feminism. I heard it again on NPR this morning.
But wait a minute. I heard that a woman's testimony is worth half that of a man in Koran. I heard that if a woman is raped she needs five men as witnesses to confirm the allegation or she is to be put to death (by her own family) for shaming the man and her family. Men are aloud to take up to four wives if they can afford it. All of these are of course up to interpretation. That is the problem.
This does not compute. I clearly need to do more research.
The Koran clearly defines the roll of women in society. It clearly defines the roll of men, and children. I think that is why so many people convert. They are tired of all the decisions they have to make every day. They want some rules. The bolder the lines the better. I've felt like that many times in my life. Over all I like having the choices.
But, Feminists really confuse me in this area. I thought Feminists wanted to bring down the division between the sexes. i must be miles off on this thought. I'll do some reading and come back.
...
Well, according to Wikipedia, I was spot on about Feminism. Nearly every bullet they attribute to Feminism is countered by the Koran. Here is a very good explanation of what women find in the Koran. Their bullet points leave out a lot. It sounds like the interpretation makes a huge difference. Hmmm, sounds like every other frigging religion on Earth.

No comments: