It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-09-10

The Day, 5 Years Gone
Houston has a moment planned down town. It seems like every major city has something to remember. New York is getting along. The nation has taken some turns since September 11 2001.
I have felt people's pain by reading survivor's stories. There are movies and documentaries out there, but I still cannot watch without turning away. I was in a meeting at work talking to someone in Chicago and another in Manila. My cell phone rang. My phone never rings. I didn't answer it because I was in the middle of the meeting. I had the door closed to my office and yet, I heard people moving around and sounds of distress outside. It was a friend at work who opened my door and told me an attack was going on.
We had TVs in the lunch room that had CNN on them. The room was packed. People were silent. I still have the imagine of a hundred people standing in a room designed for maybe ten at a time, all silent, heads facing the same way, transfixed on the screen.
That moment seems a long time ago and yet clear as any thought in my head.
A friend of mine who I am partners in a business with has a cousin who worked on the fifty-something floor of one or the other tower. He had worked all weekend so his boss gave him an another employee that Tuesday off. He awoke to frantic calls from relatives. Several people from his office died in the attack.
Does any one out there have a story they want to tell?

No comments: