It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-10-14

Ubuntu Linux
I've been wondering which Linux to try on a desktop machine. A couple of weeks ago I had my Linux web server go down due to a blown power supply. I had Fedora Core 4 ready and waiting for a quick install. Fortunately, the system came up without much incident. It has Mandrake 9.? on it, but that is a French distribution. Thus, I'm looking for something new. I've never used Fedora before. It is the RedHat excuse for using open source software for an enterprise operating system. Well, now I'm hearing more an more about Ubuntu Linux. Slashdot ran a story yesterday about the new release. Now I'm hearing about it on blogs. DistroWatch has an extensive list of links on Ubuntu.
So many people want to compare Linux to MS Windows. That is not a good comparison. They fulfill different needs. I have only used Linux in a server capacity so far. However, I want to get off the Windows habit. I'm not just cheap. I am genuinely worried about the direction of both the company and the operating system. The company wants to become AOL, which is a failed company by the way. The OS wants to become a TV box with a single button labeled "Next".. I want a choice in the matter.
Has any one out there in vast Kelly readership used or had experience with Ubuntu Linux? What is your favorite distro and why?

No comments: