It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-08-10

Keyboard
Well, I'm not the only one who is dissatisfied with keyboard design. What did I say about layout changes? This is a new one. This keyboard is designed to be held and looks a bit like a game controller. The mouse joystick is right handed only. Not only that, but it is a joystick design. I bet I'd have a hard time with it. That's too bad. I wonder how stout the space bar is.

Chernobyl
They are filming a zombie movie inside Chernobyl. I can hear the set now "I didn't say action yet ... Hey .. Cut . . . CUTaargh!!!" I like zombie movies. Most of the time, they don't pretend to be anything more than a zombie movie. Those are the good ones. The only exception is 28 days later. It had a plot and pulled it off. That is quite a feat.

Generic Computer Fix
I'm getting crotchety and impatient with computer problems these days. People come to me with an old busted-ass machine and want me to make it run like new. What they forget is it ran lick shit the day they bought it. It just ran slow as all the other computers sold in the world on the same day. The first thing out of my mouth these days is "Buy a new hard drive, they are cheap. Take the old hard drive out and put it on a shelf for later reference. Format the new hard drive. Install the operating system. Install only the minimum software you need (no themes, screen savers, games) and configure as needed." There, I'm done. I'm sick of helping people just call me wanting to use my knowledge for free. It has taken me a lifetime to learn this stuff. I get paid for what I know and can make computers do. I have one friend who asks me questions and to fix her computer, but invites me over for dinner in the process. I don't get too many home cooked meals. That is a nice trade. I have another buddy at my day job who offers me rides home when it rains in an exchange for some advice. That's a good exchange too. My mom (can get whatever she wants out of me with no exchange) actually cleans my apartment occasionally  Tat almost makes up for the four trips the roll-top desk made up and down the stairs..As for the rest of you, I accept cash, PayPal and exchange of favors (of a non-sexual nature) for my knowledge and time.
I've gotten fed up enough over the past couple of years to tell people who I haven't spoken to in weeks to go to Dell when they ask "Hey Kelly, what computer should i get?" When people ask what camera they should get, I send them to Digital Photography Review. They only cover high-end cameras and equipment, but what do I care. I'm only interested in high-end stuff. They asked me, I told them.

Poler Bear
Baby poler bear walks up to his mom and says "Am I a full blooded poler bear?"
His mom says "Yes, you are a full blooded poler bear. Go ask you father."
The young bear runs to his pop and says "Dad, am I real poler bear?"
His dad looks down at him and says "Yes son, I'm full blooded poler bear. Your mother is full blooded poler bear. All your grandparents are full blooded poler bear. You are a real poller bear. Why do you ask."
The young poler bear looks his dad in the eye and says "Because I'm freezing!"

1 comment:

CyndyMW said...

Re: Generic Computer Fix

Maybe people enjoy hearing your advice. Maybe they want to talk to you, but don't know other ways to approach a conversation. Maybe they think that's the way you prefer to make conversation; to most people, people seek out knowledge about things that interest them, and some people tend to talk with others about those things that interest them. This could be what drives some people's crazy, absurd, convoluted thought process behind doing such strange things as talking to you about computers.

If it weren't in violation of your New Year's resolution, I'd suggest that you accept those favors of a sexual nature. It would probably change the mood on the Curmudgeon Kelly blog for at least a day or two.

:-P