It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-08-14

DnD Character
In life, I'm a computer jockey. I spend my time making computers do what they said on the side of the box. I use the things I've learned from day to day to perform my job(s). I did not make it through university. I never did well in school. I believe in my heart that if I had perfect vision my whole life I would not have done much better in school. I have not found love in my life. I have not found anything that makes me embrace life for more than an evening's good time.
In the world of fantasy I insist on playing simple shallow characters. They all have well defined rules. Even if the rules are those of chaoss. My characters are usually true to themselves. I have the hardest time with magic users. I like playing dwarf fighters. I like playing  strong, easy going characters who do not have to lead. The waking world seems to take enough from me that I have little to spare for the fantasy. It seems I am challenged just staying here. Like something is pulling me elsewhere in the ether. Anyway, My choice of character is mine and I made it. I will  be a fighter. Just a plane fighter. Wait, "just"? No. I will be the only fighter. I will be the only player who plays fighters. I will be the best fighter.
When it comes to the world of fantasy, there are no shortage of exceptional characters. Superman is a super hero. The Flash is a super hero. Spiderman is a super hero (or, the spider that bit him is the hero). The Hulk is a mistake that kind of works out for the side of good. There are a million more, but there is one who stands out in my mind.
Batman is just a guy who lived through his parents being murdered and through force of his own will made himself a super hero. He is not a super hero. "Some day a punk will get lucky. I accept that." He is a man. He is a wise fighter. He learns as he goes and remembers everything. He remembers how things connect. He reasons them out. He fights. He is not complex. His toys are complex. He fights.
I play with a bunch of engineers. They like playing complex characters and then not doing much more than fighting the bad guys. Our plots are sometimes twisted, but simple. I don't know what the other players' motivations are. An engineer playing a gadgeteer is like a shoe salesman playing a cobbler. I don't get it. It is not mine to get. Let them enjoy themselves.

No comments: