It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-05-03

Tid-bits
Good Houston Vehicle

Some one has come out with
an aquatic car that looks good for Houston Floods. If it had a slightly higher profile for all the potholes I bet it would be the ultimate Houston car.
Brain Priority
I work with computers and I work in an office. Now, I work a second job. I'm trying to land a girlfriend. My life needs priorities. Computers need priorities or they will never get anything done. I read all the time about artificial intelligence and how complex are the things that go on in the mind. I bet the RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Commands) design in conjunction with a flexible priority system would do wanders for AI. I bet forgetting tasks when they become too low a priority is important too. Can you imagine never being able to forget anything. You would go nuts knowing where you left your sox in the second grade.
Gmail gripes
It doesn't check the spelling in the subject line. Hence, 99% of my emails have "hey" as the subject. This is true about many of the other web email interfaces.
You can't remove a label once you have assigned one. I accidentally assigned the wrong label to an email and now, it is in both groups.
Email in the sent-items folder is there for ever. You cannot really archive it. It is still sitting in the sent items folder.
Gmail highlights
It does what it says on the box.
Conversations are linked. Once you label an email, all replies to that email are stuck in the same conversation. You archive conversations.

Warning
Every time, and I mean every time one of
these virus/worm warnings come out, my day job's network grinds to a halt. It is frightening how poorly this system is set up to handle these every day occurrences. I'm really only upset because I haven't been able to listen to my internet radio all day.
I did get work done in spite of the lack of reliable I-radio. I found myself prioritizing my tasks based on what I felt like doing. I have so much piled up it doesn't matter where I start. You know, it worked. I got allot of work done. I asked several unique questions of the higher-ups at both my company and a vendor support and I got a resounding and unanimous “You're screwed Kelly” at every turn. Support sucks these days. Computers have reached the level where the easy things are all done for you and if you need something done outside the box, no one knows how to do it (except me). You would think this might make me feel better about myself. It does give me a false sense of superiority. That falls short of earning me more money. When people ask me who is my boss at my day job, I answer “everyone”. That is how it feels sometimes. Recently I've been telling people no. I've had people ask for one thing, then when I give then what they asked for, they say “I asked for ...” and I want to pull out the email or document they sent me and point to the facts and say “What did you ask for? What did I give you?” I'm not that abrupt about it, but I would like to be sometimes. It isn't that bad really. I should not complain, so much.

Linux
I blamed Linux about the Support Wizard trouble. I blamed Linux for the trouble I've had with several software packages. Now, I can't get Overnet to run reliably in Linux. it keeps loosing the connection with the Temp files. That causes me to redo the entire download list. After the third time I called it quits. It isn't Linux's fault. When you go to these web pages and look at the support there is a ton of crap for Windeath and a line or two for Linux. The software for Linux is an after thought. That will change I bet. I remember when Windeath was second to DOS. I remember when server meant NetWare or Unix. Pretty soon you will do your taxes on you mobile phone. It won't matter a damn bit which OS you have.

No comments: