It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-05-20

Syria and a wedding party
It is common practice in the middle east to fire guns off in the air during a celebration. This includes weddings. I have to say, it is a war alone. If you fire a gun off, even in the air, you should expect to get smacked. Remember, this is an area between Syria and Iraq (on the Iraq side I'm told) that has been called "the wild west". If you lived in an area with no real law, and a bunch of cheap rocket launchers, would you carry a six-shooter? I doubt it. You would have a chop-stock AK with a flip-clip and a telescopic laser site. I think the tradition of firing off guns in the air during celebrations must be addressed.

Yeesh
I used to work at a print shop. I hated it. There was this woman there named Bee-bee. I'm not sure how she spelled it. It is difficult to describe her. Think, a Mexican version of Me-me on the Drew Carry show. One year for Halloween, she took a bunch of the green highlighters we sold, broke them open and came as the Hulk. The year I remember she came as a bum with a sandwich sign that red "will work for tequila" on one side. I don't remember what the other side said.
Anyway, I had a dream about her last night. I bumped into her on the street. She didn't turn in to the hulk, She didn't try to hit on me or anything. What sent me with a start into a waking cold sweat? She remembered me.

HTML
I'm going to try a new editor. This is being typed by the editor in Mozilla (Composer). It meets my criteria, a spell checker, WYSIWYG interface, inserts image links and doesn't piss me off the first time I use it. So far so good. Spell check seems to work. Formatting seems to be OK. OOOO It has "Paste without formatting" yes! SWEET!! It has "Remove all text formatting". I think I may have a new throw-down HTML editor. Yes, you can start composer straight from the command line. This is looking better and better. You can tell people who needed exactly what I need designed this thing.
Normally I use Star Office, but it has been driving me nuts lately. It doesn't handle bold very well. The line spacing is at best a stab in the dark. The stiles are meant for a word processor and don't always translate. It is a fine office tool, but I need a quick HTML editor. Besides the spell checker grayed out the choices once you started typing in the answer. I force myself to type in the proper spelled word in an attempt to make myself a better speller. It scrolled funny too.

Frozen lake
I did something when I was in my early teens that not many people can say they have done. It was a cold, overcast and rare day in South East Texas. A buddy of mine, Bryan, whom I grew up with, and I went to the local park down the street to see what kind of trouble we could get into. We fell upon the little pond the city had put in a couple of years before. We lived in Missouri City Texas in a huge subdivision called Quail Vally. It was big for the time. Just thinking about that neighborhood brings back a flood of memories. I swam that pond once. It was about eight meters across in the narrowest place. It was only slightly over my head in the middle, and frigging cold in the Summertime near the bottom. Anyway. My buddy Bryan and I found this little pond frozen across the top. Can you imagine. Two young guys in South East Texas looking at a frozen pond? I had to try to cross it. I don't remember if Bryan crossed it or not. I remember slowly walking across the ice and listening to the cracks as I walked. I could hear the cracks creep across the surface all around me. It seemed that standing still or moving didn't affect the number of cracking sounds, so I pushed on. I hit the ice in front of me with a stick to tell if it was thin. Bryan staid on the shore, at least long enough for me to cross in case I fell in. That is a brilliant triumphant memory..
There is no trace of that lake now. The City removed it. I suppose too many jackasses like me tried to cross it in the winter time.

Paperless office
My day job says it tries to be a paperless office. There are copiers and printers every three meters. They do much better than in the past. This company has been around for several decades. Sometimes.I wonder what it was like to do the kind of office work I witness today, in the late 1800s. I imagine they had the same pile of rules and just used hand-written memos instead of emails. When was the typewriter invented? (so that is where Brazil got their typewriters) It looks like there have been typewriters in some form since at least 1868. Cool. I had no idea. The only things I print now are my time sheet (my job requires two prints), and some emails. I only print the emails by mistake. The print icon is right next to the save. I suppose I could edit the tool bar, but you know me.

No comments: