It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-04-05

I knew it
There is a CNN story about
TV causing ADD. They say it isn't the content, but the fast paced "life" that happens on most TV programming. Some of the folks at my day job (women) blame mothers not paying enough attention to kids for the ADD. I don't buy it. I try to look back to caveman days to answer questions about modern troubles. What would a caveman done in this situation. It is amazing how much that helps me figure out why things happen. Most of the time it is just a bunch of bunk.
<my opinion>
Young brains develop with a thirty minute resolution cycle when kids watch TV. Life takes allot longer to find solutions to problems. When a child watches TV and finds that everything is done and every one is laughing after thirty minutes.
</my opinion>

Memory
BBC radio (five live) just had a little mention of sitting on a beach during a holiday <vacation>. They spoke of trunks with sand driven into them. That made me think of a story. I remember Melissa, my first crush, showing me a funny mark on her back. She wandered where the heck the little star shaped light spot came from. Well she figured it out pretty quickly. There were little black stars on her otherwise yellow swim suit. The shapes lined up quite nicely. It was the first time a woman showed me a part over her body. Even if it was a pretty innocent part of her back.

Snapshot
It is amazing the difference a second or two can make in photography. That short time can make a big difference in what is in the image. The exposure time for a picture can make or break a sports shot. Too fast and the photo is dark. Too slow and the action is blurred. Even landscapes can tell you how the shutter was set. Look at the leaves on trees, or the ripples in water. Leaves flutter in even a slight breeze. Ripples in water will smear or blur with a slow shutter speed. To catch the waves on a pond you need a faster setting. Waterfalls will turn smoky white with any more than a second or two exposure. Sometimes people will disappear except for a ghostly outline if the shutter speed is set long enough. A night shot will take on a hazy look because of humidity and bugs around lights. People and any animated thing will not survive a long exposure. The moment is only about 1/60 to 1/30 seconds long. Anything longer and time passes, the moment is lost. Photography can tell you things that a movie cannot. There is something irrevocable about that moment captured. You can't spin the wheel forward or back. You only have the one shot. That is it.
There are
moments captured in that one instant that turned presidents mid-course.

Tap-a tap-a tap-a
I'm sitting at work waiting for a process to complete. I catch myself wandering if others listen to me whisper to myself as I run through news reports and work email. When I type, I pound the keyboard pretty loudly. I wander if any one notices my quiet when I'm not typing? How paranoid is that? I've noticed some people up here never stop typing. It is amazing. My boss can type 3500 words per minute. It sounds like an even hum coming from her office.
One thing I've noticed, is most of the people I respect for intelligence at my day job talk to themselves like I do. They are not as abrupt as I, but they do it. I used to catch so much crap growing up over talking to myself.

New Pictures
I have some
new pictures on my home page. They are from Chris and Sarah's party this past weekend. We had a great time and a couple of big piles of mud bugs. Give the pictures a look if you dare. They are the first with the new camera. The are five megapixl off the shelf, but I've shot them down to 30% of their full size. They are significantly smaller than the original. From 1.5 megabytes down to 80 or 90 kilobytes.

No comments: