It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-09-02

SQL today

I dusted off a couple old skills this afternoon. I edited an ASP page or two. Some of the users required a range instead of a single look up. This required jumping through a couple hoops.

  • editing forms
  • submitting to another page
  • validating
  • querying a range

Normal stuff for a web developer. It surprised me that I still have these skills. I had to look up syntax, but I basically knew what to do. The only thing that threw me for a loop was the validation. The way the pages were set up, I had to repeat some code to really get what I wanted. Not the code, the process.

This is going to happen more in my future. The pages in question need some work. No one has had time in a while to do anything beyond emergency repairs for some time.

It sure made the afternoon go fast. I forgot how much faster the day goes when I'm scripting. Having access to an internet machine made it go so much faster. I could just pop over to the internet box and find some examples. Then, while the example is fresh in my head, go right back to my code. No locking my box, finding a free kiosk, logging in, googling, writing down some info or emailing it to myself, and then getting hijacked in the hall and distracted before returning to the script. Just read the example and right back to the script. Nice.

It felt good. It felt like exocizing a muscle that had lain dorment for too loong. More to come.

No comments: