It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2010-07-06

Dreams

As one who works that nine to five, I have to say that he is right. If there were anything that I could do that would make me stand out in the crowd, it would get me fired.

The only thing I'm good at that I really enjoy is being an asshole.

We had a guy named Larry at work. He was a new engineer not far out of school. He worked in a couple different departments at our office at different times. I don't know how to put it, but he never quite meshed with the flaming mayhem that is our engineering staff. if your ass is not on fire and you don't look like you are about to climb a tour with a deer rifle, your are not exhibiting a sense of urgency. That is why a guy got let go a couple years ago. Or work is not healthy for the engineers. They are worked to death and expected to sacrifice their youth and brilliance to the cause and can't even shift a couple hours around to spend time with their families.

This i true through the engineering world. It is no wander that so few women get involved in this field. They can do better without trying very hard. They are smart.

So, Larry left today to go back to school He and is wife packed up and went back to Austin. God bless them. Forty five minutes after he was gone, I, the IT guy, packed up his computer and moved in another engineer in his place.

Don't be an engineer. They will squeeze you until you are empty, then throw you away for the new guy. Follow Phil's advice and find something you are good at that you can make money at and do that. Do it well. Be the best. Make that work for you rather than making yourself work to fill in someone else's dreams.

I listened to a podcast today that was reviewing films. He mentioned music and said he would take someone who could barely sign their name, but loved their music like their children over someone with a PHD in any form of music. This is along the same rail. Is it possible to live your dreams without loosing everything in the process? Can you feel like you accomplished your dreams without loosing everything or sacrificing everything else?

Someone out there tell me you are following your dream.

No comments: