It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-04-12

The only good pirate is a dead pirate


Captain Richard Phillips is now safe and healthy aboard the USS Boxer after Navy Seals launched a rescue attempt that ended when snipers killed three pirates in three shots, all direct hits to the head.
Vice Admiral William Gortney, Commander of Navy's 5th Fleet, told journalists at the Pentagon Sunday evening a decision was made to take the shots after the pirates were spotted pointing an AK-47 into the back of Captain Phillips.
As soon as the shots were fired, Navy Seals "scurried down" a tow line attached to the lifeboat, and were the first to get to Phillips. They surveyed the scene and found three dead pirates. Phillips was alive, although tied up.
The fourth pirate, who is now in U.S. custody, left the lifeboat hours earlier with the understanding he would negotiate from on board the USS Bainbridge, the massive Navy destroyer that shadowed the lifeboat for several days.
...
But sometime soon after the boats were hooked together, shots were fired from the lifeboat and the pirates were seen holding a gun to Captain Phillips back. Acting on a standing order from President Obama to move in when Phillips was in "imminent danger" snipers were ordered to fire.
They established clear head shots on all three pirates. One of the pirates was visible through the front window, and the other two were revealing their heads through the top hatch, presumably to get fresh air. It would be their last breath.

Some folks say that the word 'pirate' has lost the meaning it once had. It still means the same thing, but it has lost the fear factor that was once associated with it. People think of Jack Sparrow and Walt Disney when you say pirate. That is sad.

Now I hear this news and I rejoice. Even Fox News calls it a happy ending. The concept of measured response to aggression is ridiculous. When someone does something blatantly against the rules just to make money or piss you off, you must make god-damn sure they get the shit knocked out of them and know that you are ready to do it again, every time. The next time we get your families too. Go after the French. Leave U. S. vessels alone or suffer the wrath of the seals .

Obama gave an order to shoot when the hostage was in imminent danger. I suppose it hinges on the meaning of the word 'imminent' is. That does not compute. I'm glad. It still kind of makes me step back and ponder our president.

imminent: ready to take place; especially : hanging threateningly over one's head

Sounds to me like being held hostage at gun point is imminent danger. I'm not a lawyer though. Often I hear about bad people getting it. I do try not to shout in glee. This time I could not stop myself. I heard the words "head shot" and "hua!!" came from me like I deserve to say the word.

No comments: