It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-04-08

I Hate Computers

People are buying 30% fewer computers than last year. The only reason people are still buing computers at all is because of netbooks. They are floating the industry, and there is nearly zero prophet in them. The industry si screaming that the internet needs to be faster and greatly expanded.

Think about how important computers have become to our every day lives. I can't pay some of my bills without getting online. I cannot do my job for sure. Many people cannot do their job without a computer. Some collages now require students to bring their own computer and are closing computer labs. I tis just assumed they have access in many cases.

It took decades for cars to become absolutely necessary for existence. It took centuries for banking and insurance to catch on and become required. It won't be long before you will get arrested if you don't have your phone on you at all times with the GPS turned on. I have a bad feeling it will replace ID at some point.

People would not get a pager because they thought they were leashes for people to get hold of them. I remember car phones and having to switch from that term to cell phone when they got small enough to put a shoulder strap on and carry around. I remember "The Rockford Files" introduced an answering machine at a time when no one had one except professionals.

Some people may have been old enough to comprehend the Right brothers flight and young enough to watch the moon landing. We have a guy at our work who has no phone. He defies society. I envy him sometimes.

There was a list I made up once about the perfect hand held device. It had all kinds of things listed like waterproof, surf the net, GPS, phone, music, video, well, they are getting closer. I had a litmos test once that you had to be able to do your taxes in addition to many other tasks on a device before you could call it a computer. Well, I'm pretty sure the G1 wold do it if someone added the application.

No comments: