It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-04-05

Baking cookies and blogging the Mud Bug party

I'm editing video. My computer sounds like an old RV climbing a hill. I'm sitting next to it and I can feel the heat coming off the CPU in waves. If I'm going ot get in to this video thing, I'll need a far more powerful computer.Fortunately, they are getting cheaper by the minute. Desktops have all but cratered in price. It was not that long ago when video editing was the most stressful thing you could do with your computer.  The Video Toaster came out and made it look easy. Then, they were out done by Macintosh. That is a need for another time.

No sooner do computers get to the point where they can just crank out video with all kinds of cool stuff, then the standard changes out from under them. I welcome HD. I need an HD, night vision kit with amazing wide angle and telephoto capabilities that fits in my pocket, is water proof and sells for under $200. I'll hold my breath. That cuts both ways. There is no way I could get a 10 minute video under 100 megabytes, which was the limit on YouTube until recently when it went to 1 gigabyte. Still ten minutes though. Google still has her eye on the ball.

It is too bad I'm so bad at video editing. I have no idea what is good when it comes to video. I do know what I like. Most of that is geek stuff that would never sell. At the moment, I'm editing a video that is mostly about kids playing with crayfish before they are eaten at a Mud-Bug party. I figure, who would like to watch kids getting pinched by crayfish? It cracks me up how much all the parents let their kids play with the things. I mean, it is not like they will loose a finger. It is funny to watch. I'm proud of the parents in my group. Kids need to be warned, watched, guided, and left to learn.

Elle is a girly girl and never got near the things. As a matter of fact, toward the beginning of the second video, she is scared and runs across the yard. Nat has to coax her back to the pool. Poor thing. I tried to give her a bit of encouragement that if she didn't want to touch one she didn't have too. Not sure she bought my argument. Still, one of the other little girls ran around hitting people telling them not to eat the cute littl bugs. You can hear her say "I hope they don't eat these." toward the end of the second video. We have a little Lisa Simpson in the mix.

The editor I use only kind of works. I have seen the editors for Windows and they make things so easy. The software that came with my Flip Mino HD is supposed to be a piece of cake. I've never seen it. It took me a couple weeks to get the video and audio to line up with the software I use. Real video editing is involved and has a learning curve. Right now, all I do is cut snips out of my videos and stitch a couple different videos together. I have not even added text yet. I'm sure I'll want to eventually. I wish there were a one stop program for all of it on Linux. The saying used to be "If you want to do video on Windows, buy a Mac." Not sure if that still applies. Linux blows for media editing. The way the OS has been dominated by geaks and DIY folks, Linux will always be behind the curve. 

Video 1

Video 2

Please let me know what you think of the content or the crappy quality. I will only learn after scorn and ridicule.

No comments: