It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-06-21

Work Related Note

I do not miss the old job. I miss being the genius. At my old job, I was brilliant. Every one came to me with computer issues and I was able to fix things left and right. I was a go to guy. Now, I'm not a go to guy any more. I have gotten much better since I started this job. The people here are all brilliant. They are all capable. They are all excellent at what they do. At least, as far as I can tell.

At my old job, I was a cog in a huge machine. Here I'm a cog in a small efficient machine. There was a lot of waist at the old job. There were people who found their niche and just stagnated. At the new job, people are robust. I struggle to keep up. That's a good thing.I like the challenge. I worry I will satisfy the company's needs.

I have a buddy I've known for years who works here. He runs the DnD game most of the time. I always wondered how he did such a stressful job and still did all the stuff he managed to do in his home life. Now, I'm completely lost. I envy his balance.

This morning I thought I found a problem with one of our software packages. No biggie, that's why I'm here. I wrote up the bug and put it out on the bug reporting tool. Two minutes later someone replied "You are using the wrong variable." and showed me what I had done. I knew the moment I read that line that this was a case of creeping-dumbass. That is where an otherwise capable person makes a rookie mistake because they are too busy paying attention to everything else that's going on. It is a symptom of multitasking. The only cure I'm aware of is to slow down, focus on one thing at a time and make sure you complete tasks in stead of leaving things hang.

No comments: