It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-06-11

Pretty property

Tony and Dizzy live out in the boonies. Literally, the sticks. It is beautiful. They have a bazillion trees.  The family owns a bulldozer that performs the same function as my weed eater. They have a creek running through their property. They have chickens and cats and more chickens and a million frogs., several million mosquitoes

The Frogs

Just as dusk fell all around us, the frogs started to croak. More of w wheeze chirp really. I noticed they started at one end of the bog in front of Dizzy's place. Then the whole thing erupted. Then it died in the same left to right direction it built in. I didn't think much of it. Several minutes later, It started in a new bog on the other side of the driveway. Then both bogs blew up. I wonder if something slithered across the bogs and disturbed the frogs, because they would get quiet and stay quiet for such a long time in between. I never actually saw a frog while I was there.

The Cats

They have cats. For as feral as I'm used to cats being on plantations, these cats were quite tame. I bet there are a couple of wild strays on the property. The kittens are cute and will play endlessly. The mother will tackle dogs nine times her size if they get to close to the kittens.  You get the idea. I wanted to ask if they turned up with mice or whatever occasionally.

The Chickens

They have a chicken coop. Chicken coops have to be completely fenced in these days due to bird flue concerns. Tony's mom has a new batch of chicks. They keep a radio in the chicken coop and in with the chicks. There are lights for the chickens. They say it is for predators. It it funny because it looks like they are in a 24/7 disco or something.

The cocks are very young. They sounded like squeak toys when they crowed.

Snakes, Rats and Ducks, oh my

Mom told a story of a bunch of beautiful ducks landing all over the property. They were kind of interesting to watch. They had this habit of grabbing snakes and slamming them about the ground.The ducks would kill snakes even if they didn't eat them. All for the sake of their eggs I'm sure. Well, there is a side effect in the country of killing all your snakes. You get rats. Many, many rats. Mom said you could walk out after dark, hit the trees with a spotlight and rats would scurry around the branches one after the other. I wonder what happened to the squeals. The ducks didn't last long after the rats in the trees thing. Somehow, they just vanished. It is an interesting lesson in the balance on nature.

No comments: