It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-06-24

MPG

I think we should get better gas mileage in our Corolla. I did the math recently with Nat's help and it comes out to about 33 mpg. That is real rubber on the road numbers. Toyota claims it was supposed to get 41 (stick) or 38 (automatic) in normal driving. Where are they driving the cars they test anyway? I suspect that other five miles per gallon goes for air conditioning and sitting in fast food queues. It upsets me that the numbers are so far off.

I have to say, so far the car has been high quality. Nat and I both want a larger vehicle. It is going to be a while before we can afford one. I do not look forward to spending even more money on gas. We have cheap gas in this country relatively speaking. That doesn't make it any easier to pay the bill every month. I will insist on sticking with Toyota for the next vehicle. Even if it means sacrificing features or economy. I'm addicted to a vehicle that runs when you turn the key. Since I cannot go 'save' Nat when something goes wrong, I want to make sure as little goes wrong as I can.

The Math

Nat took down some numbers at a fill-up. I believe the car was at a quarter of a tank when this was taken.

Given
  • 335 miles
  • 2.83.9 per gallon
  • $29.01 cost
  • (10.2 gallons)
Calculation
  • 32.8 mpg (roughly)

No comments: