It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-09-10

Page Breaks
I just learned how to put Page Breaks in HTML. They only come into effect when you print. Why print? This is my DND Character. I bet I'll need to print it at some point. I just used a bunch of tables, so they get split all over the place. that can be OK in some cases, but in the middle of the skills table makes it hard to read. I will eventually publish the character sheet here. Like I said, it is just a bunch of tables, so don't expect anything pretty.

Mirror
The image in a mirror is in reverse, or "mirrored". Why isn't it also upside down? Oh, I can do the physics experiment in my head and trace the lines from the object into the mirror, then back to my eye. It all makes sense from a scientific point of view. If I look at myself in the mirror, left is right and right is left, but up is still up and down is still down. If I lay on my side and look in the mirror of course, the image is still up side up, but also, still flipped right to left. So, it is my perception of the image that is reversed. That makes me think there is more of a difference between the directions up and down, and side to side. I always thought of them as pretty much the same. They are just different ways to point. This little experiment tells me, there is a difference.
If you think about it, when you go left and go left and go left and go left you are back where you started and you always went left. Even if you walk to the left around the world, you end up back where you started. If you go up and go up and go up, either you went down at some point (you were upside down in the middle of a loop) or you are on the fourth floor. This idea of a difference between up and down and side to side must have something to do with gravity, I just know it. It makes my head hurt trying to wrap my mind around the subtle difference.
Pickup a pen and drop it back on the table top. All the combined wisdom of mankind cannot tell you why that happens. They keep trying to tell me that bumblebees can't fly. Maybe the bumblebees know something we don't.
Comments?

NASA's $264M Lawn Dart
Have you heard about this thing? NASA wants to know what the Sun is throwing off on a daily basis. Hey, that has some good applications. I feel like my tax dollars are well spent on scientific pursuits that further Human knowledge. It crashed into a muddy spot in the desert, but now it's in a "clean room", thank God. I want to know who the fuck designed this thing to be caught by a helicopter with a hook on the end of an arm. There are so many problems with that idea. The thing that went wrong is the shoot did not open. Lets say it did. I can just see the helicopter; missing the shoot; hooking the shoot and spinning out of control to crash; missing the shoot and the device slams into the helicopter to crash. Come on, who was the project manager who approved "We are going to catch it with a hook dangling from a helicopter." This is proof only that high level people don't read their emails. I hope this instrument was supposed to be picked up by the shuttle and this was Plant-B.

Joke
A gorilla walks into a bar and asks the bar tender "How much for a beer?"
The bar tender thinks to himself what can a gorilla know about the price of a beer, and says to the gorilla "It's only $20."
The gorilla plunks down a $20 and the bar tender hands him a beer. The gorilla takes a sip and seems to enjoy his drink.
The bar tender trying to cover his petty larceny says "We don't get many gorillas in here."
The gorilla replies "At $20 a beer I can see why."

New Phone
I'm kind-of-sort-of in the market for a new mobile. I'm with T-Mobile at the moment and they don't want to haggle on the price of a new phone for an existing customer. No troubles, I'll go to Cingular, or Verison. I can keep my number now, so what do I care who's name is on the bill every month? They never put pertinent information on the descriptions. I want a phone that I can read, that can sync with the computer and hold more information on people than just their name and number. I need infrared or cable sync. I don't want to have to go through a service online to match up my names and addresses. I may need email in the future too. I look at the choices online and I keep changing my mind. I don't need a new phone. These cost a fortune. I hate dealing with rebates. Everything has a rebate on it.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
"Duck Dodgers and the 24 and 1/2 Century!" This is a new movie coming out this week. It looks pretty cool to me. This getting some good press, at least from the kind of people I listen too on this subject. I watched the trailer and it has a sort of P-51 (Mustang) vs flying dragons feel. Looks interesting.

Ghost in the Shell 2
This is another movie I've been waiting for.  I've heard good stuff about it. I finally had a chance to catch the trailer. It looks very good. I may have to catch this one in the theater. They say in the trailer that the original defined Anime. I don't think so. It raised the bar a bit.

1 comment:

obiwanchunn said...

About the mirror. The reason left is right and right is left in a mirror, but up is always up is because right and left are dependant on faceing, while up and down arent. If you were facing away from the the mirror then as you move right, your image moves right. If you are facing towards the mirror then the reverse is true. Facing, however, does not change up and down.