It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-09-22

Microsoft Sucks Again/Still
The LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) shutdown a week ago was caused by a Windows 95 machine crashing. Instead of fixing a known problem in Windows 95, they had a technician reboot the system every 30 days. Well, some one went on vacation, or something because the system failed. Everybody knows Windows 95 locks up after 49.7 days. Basically the computer counts off .001 seconds until it crashes - 2 to the 32nd (2^32) / (60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours * 1000 milliseconds) = 49.7102696 days. There has been a fix on Microsoft's web site for eight years.
How many of my tax dollars have gone to pay a technician in multiple airports across the country to reboot a system every thirty days for eight years? Probably not nearly as much as the one time the system failed.

Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence
I thought the first one was preachy. This show has an awesome visual feel. The action scenes, though not often enough for my taste, are well done. The story is based loosely on a fable from Japanese lore about a doll that becomes a human. It turns out the doll never wanted to be a human, and is no Pinocchio. In this case the people have cybernetic brains that go cur-flewy at times. he robots develop self awareness. The lines between Man and Man's creation blurs. . . . and so on. I'm sure there are tons of nuances I missed. Thank God whomever translated the subtitles also gave some notes on what the hell the characters were talking about a times. I know I still lost most of the symbolism. Still, it is worth watching if you like Anime. I would not recommend it to mere humans though.

Song
Artist: Art Of Noise [ Search RP ]
Song: Peter Gunn
Album: single [ Search RP ]
Last Played: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:47 am

Song
Artist: Stevie Ray Vaughan [ Search RP ]
Song: Pipeline
Album: The Real Deal [ Search RP ]
Last Played: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:50 am
Two good ones in a row.

Rant from James (via YIM)
You know I really don't care that my password is expiring in 10 days.  Nor am I going to want to change it until it DOES expire.  So why does the machine feel as if it has to keep reminding me ALL the time.  Like it is some monumental event that I must prepare for.  You would think it was my anniversary or something.  Should I bring flowers on my password expiration day or something....have a party....take my computer out for dinner?

1 comment:

CyndyMW said...

I also got the rant. I wish I had saved my response. It went something like:

"Yes, I would have said that taking your password on a date was right, but you're married now. You have to give up your alley-catting ways. A nice note would be much more appropriate."