It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-04-04

TimeLine
I'm watching a movie called Timeline. It is about people going back in time. There are a bunch of references to archeology. I am as much interested in the past as the next guy. I like how archeologists take clues from thousands of years ago and piece together the daily life of some one who has been long dead and gone. There are whole civilizations gone longer than ours has been around. I wander what the archeologists will find of me in a million years. If all they had from the human race was this blog, I shutter to think the image I leave to posterity.
Well, we are a harmless bunch. Our primary concern is to eat, sleep and have sex with each other. Well, everyone has sex except me. I'm the one odd person left out. All the rest of humanity has found their match. That is the reason I have time to write this to you, the entities who find our broken ashtrays and tattered bits left thoughtlessly dropped in the mud on a rainy day. <I'm being depressing again>

Speaking of the future
There is an article about NASA's launch of a gravity detection system. What it is for is to prove Einstein's theories about gravity. According to the status quo, there should be a gravity wake behind Earth as it lumbers through space at 86,000 miles an hour (relative to the Sun). The instruments are so sensitive they can tell anomalies in gravity as the satellite travels in orbit. This gizmo has been on the docket for over forty years. Apparently, the technology just hasn't brought it to fruition until now. I like the quote “the roundest objects in the world.”
What I want to know is, what if they prove Einstein wrong? The trouble is other experiments in the last forty years have bolstered Einstein's theories, so some say the whole thing is a wash. I want a big finding somewhere. I want a finding that changes everything. I want our everyday loves to turn on a dime for the better because of some seemingly little discovery that people almost missed. What was the last small invention that just plane changed the way everything works? Indoor plumbing, electricity, telephone, automobile, airplane, penicillin ...

No comments: