It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-04-08

Radio sucks
I'm listening to some
radio station while at work. Their selection of music is off the scale. They are all over the place. It is nice to have variety, but they are bound to play something that makes me ill about every half hour.
I heard somewhere that rap music s running out of beats. The mathematical combinations are waning. The trouble is, copyright laws use math to determine what is unique. At some point they will simply run out of the stuff that is covered by copyright. I wish I had a source for this.
You have heard many rap songs that are really based on some old song riff with some one saying how great they are over a beat. I just heard one of these using the riff from "Walk on the Wild Side". Well People who did the original song feel like it is still their material. The people who make the rap insist that it is something completely new and original. They are both full of crap. Can't we all just get along?

Writing for work and school
I've noticed a major flaw in the education system. The trouble is writing for an audience. In school all through university I wrote with my professor or TA in mind. They were a monolithic audience. There was one personality to target with every thought. The trouble came when I hit the real world. I could not target my boss, who would review the information before it goes out to the business. I had to target the people in the business, but with my boss' impression of what the people in the business would need. That is a whole separate wrinkle.
As best as I can tell, there was nothing in school that covered this conflict. Perhaps in journalism they cover this problem. I've been lucky that my current boss is a great communicator. She taught me the skills I have. What I learned in school was only half the information.

X-Prize
This is just cool. CNN has news of the first people qualified to participate. The X-Prize is ten million dollars to the first private group that puts paying passengers in space. The guy who did this ship is the same guy who designed that plane that flew around the world without stopping or refueling a couple of years ago. This is one of those things that makes you like to be alive. Some one is out there doing something this cool just because they can.

Tpro
Man, Tpro is looking good. These guys are amazing.