It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-04-18

Linux VS. Microsoft
This operating system is never going to kill Microsoft at the present rate of creation. I just tried to get a help desk software to install and spent nearly four hours trying to get the install.sh (script) to run, but nothing. It was looking for rpm. I type in rpm and baddabing, there it is. It was looking for make, I type in make and badaboom, there it is. The rpm files that came with the install have some problem with Mandrake 9.2. I'm learning Mandrake 9.2 sucks.
I installed Apache on one of my XP machines and it took ten minutes. I installed the help desk software in 10 minutes. Now, there is only configuration. Every time I try to install software that didn't come with the distribution Linux messes up. It is just plane not ready for prime time. It is worth the extra $999 for click-click install and setup. In a business it costs more to have some one sitting there jacking with the machine than it does to just pay the extra money for a Microsoft server. Maybe outsourcing will change the face of labor costs and thus topple Microsoft.

No comments: