It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-04-30

End of an era
Red Hat is officially
dead. Red Hat chose to go full enterprise. It is $2400 for a server license. I hate to say it, but that is just too much for my small company. Red Hat is the distribution I learned first. It seems like all the books refer straight to Red Hat. Linux meant Red Hat to me for allot of years. I'm using Mandrake at the moment. I want to try SuSe. Mandrake is French (I know). SuSe is German. I hear good stuff about SuSe all the time. It is a professional distro. Many businesses use SuSe. It is on par with Red Hat in performance as far as I can tell. The U. S. government will not use anything that was not compiled in the U. S. so, Red Hat is about it.
Red Hat has spawned a bastard called the Fedora Project. I have not tried it. I only have one problem with Fedora, it is not Red Hat. It is a different distribution. It doesn't seem to support RPMs fully. Stuff is in different places. BAH!!
There is a movement to make Linux easier to use and make it something every Joe/Jane can use to get work done. Their goal is to make an open source system that businesses will want their employees to use. They have a long way to go. I said years ago that Linux was not ready for the desktop. Well, Linux is not even at Windows 95 level of usability. The developers are not going about the task in a way that will end with a better desktop. Microsoft spends more money on user feedback about the interface than any one company spends on the whole of Linux development. That is no way to catch up.

Atlantis
These scientists claim to have found Atlantis. Is Atlantis a real place? Was it wrought in the imagination of some ancient story teller? Not knowing is the only thing that makes it interesting. Too many myths and legends are defined these days. Once we figure out what the root of a story is, it isn't a mystery any more. People stop telling the story.

France
France is
limiting the freedom of religion regarding family abuse and some other stuff that is considered a violation of human rights. When you read about some of the things that France has troubles with you might think it makes since. Think about it though, other countries don't outlaw these acts. Young women in the U. S. are required to leave the country to marry men they may have never met if their parents say. The French caught hell a while ago over banning young Muslim women from warring scarves in schools because they are a public display of religion. Forget the fact that it is a requirement of the religion.

Memory
My short term memory is shot. I'm trying to copy some files to a couple of locations around the globe at my day job. It is taking forever. The total size is around seventy megabytes and the network keeps bombing out the copies. My explorer died twice. At least XP restarts explorer when explorer crashes. In 2000 you had to start it manually. Lately it seems like every time I turn around I forgot where I was. It doesn't help that every one wants my attention. I've actually started telling people that I just don't have time to do stuff.  I can't get anything done because I have to stop in the middle and help some one else with something.

Bad Movie of the Week
Police in Macedonia (near the old Yugoslavia area) gunned down some illegal immigrants for the single purpose of making it look like the cops were doing a good job tracking and killing terrorists. It is enough to make you sick. But, hay, al-Qaida couldn't have a worse opinion of the West at the moment, right?

No comments: