It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-04-16

Bus stop
I tried to catch the earlier bus this morning. I just missed it. I was hoping to make up a few minutes at work. This is a rough way to start the day. I was trying to ease my mood by meditating, when this guys sits down two meters away. It is a Friday morning and this guys is in shorts and a tank top. He looks in his early twenties. He is going to school or somewhere to goof off all day. I hear him sit down. Then he starts coughing. Then he starts smoking and doubles his coughing. Now I'm upset. It is legal to smoke at a Houston bus stop as far as I know. Even if it is illegal, what are you supposed to do, call a cop? Then he asks me "What time does the bus come?" That sounds like a legitimate question, but he is not warring a watch. I don't see a mobile. What is he going to do in the mean time. If I say five minutes he will sit there until the bus comes. If I say forty five minutes he will sit there until the bus comes. I hate it when people using public transit beside me try to talk to me. That is why I ware  headphones. I've gone over that one before.
I"m a grump.

AT&T gets jiggy
I heard something about this from the BBC a while back. AT&T will soon let you put your phone up to the radio and for 1$ a server somewhere will send a message telling you what song was playing. I'm sure it has limitations and I'm sure it will not work for folk, or obscure stuff, but top forty will work fine. This will save more lives than airbags.

Inventory
A friend of mine is "observing inventory" as I type. It is a beautiful Friday afternoon and I can't imagine doing anything related to inventory on a day like today. Then again. I am at home typing in my blog instead of out soaking up the rays and out of doors. I'm like that though.
I remember doing inventory for a company I worked for several years ago. What a pain. Count a box of pens, mark it down. Count a role of paper, mark it down. I sorted coins once to find over eight hundred dollars. That was mindless over and over again toil, but it was a bit therapeutic. Inventory is just maddening to me. The job I have requires me to think and salve problems (in programming terms). The coin thing just required looking and tossing into a specific pile. Inventory requires just enough thought to prevent the mind from wandering. Yet, not enough to challenge the mind. I suppose  am all or nothing.

Daily listening
I'm finding out that I would much rather listen to news all day than music. That is scary. I find news distracting. I have to turn it off to really concentrate. Music is mostly in the background depending on the genera.

What do you want?
Microsoft wanted to fire off a service that let you click on any word and a search would kick off and bring back information (related to what you were reading at the time) that were based on the word you clicked. The only trouble with the service was no one really wanted it.
I fear the race to get tourists in space will suffer the same problem. It sounds cool, because it is so select right now. After a very little while, it will get old. I bet long before the price drops for shmoes like me to take a day trip to orbit, it will be passé. "Let's see, jet-ski trip, or fifteen minutes in orbit?"

Wedding
My buddy James is getting married tomorrow. He found the perfect woman. The rest of of can stop looking. She is a Linux admin. That's all I have to say. Her name is Tempest. They get along like no one I've met. I wish them all the best.

No comments: