It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-04-22

Anger resolution

Recognize the problem
It is surprisingly difficult to tell when you are angry or in a bad mood. The first thing that tells me I'm in a bad mood is actually my own voice. I yell at the computer, or whatever is in front of me, or I bite some one's head off. Sometimes it is my own head on the block.

Stop
The next thing you have to do is stop. This is also a difficult step because anger and rage have a momentum. That momentum must be broken before you can continue to the next steps.

Make up your mind to change
Even after stopping the momentum, making the decision to not be angry is perhaps the most difficult of all. When I am angry, I want to stay angry. I want to yell, I want to stomp. Sometimes I just plane decide to stay angry. I don't know why. You have to start over again and it is just that much more difficult the second or third time. “I don't want to be that angry guy. I don't like the angry guy.”

Pull yourself away from rage
Once you make the decision to not be angry you must pull yourself out of the mood. It is a bit like pulling yourself out of a pool that has a ledge with no place to hold. You will feel yourself slipping backward, but you can't panic or get angry. You have to relax and simply go forward more slowly.

Follow through (prevent relapse)
I find myself easy to anger for a long while after I calm down. Sometimes a distraction helps, but only temporarily. I take frequent breaks at work before I get angry. I have to. I need to clear my head between tasks.

Resume life
Now, you still have to fix the problem or complete the task that made you angry in the first place.

A Man's guide to Women and complaining
I am thirty five years old and I have to relearn the same lesson over and over again. When a woman comes to me and tells me about a problem she is having, she doesn't necessarily want a solution. She might want sympathy. If she wants sympathy, she will think your are bossing her around when you offer her a solution.
For example, your wife tells you that she hates her professor at university. Do you A, Say “Drop the class sweetie, it isn't worth it.” or “Go to the dean and talk about it.” or “Slash that bitch's tires.”; or B, Say “I remember some of my professors ...” or “I can go talk to the dean if you want.” or “What does her car look like?”; or C, Say “I hear you sweetie. Tell me all about it.”
The correct answer is of course C.

No comments: