It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2014-03-14

A keyboard makes a difference

2013-03-12
The new keyboard at work has actually made me more likely to type stuff. I’ve noticed that not only do I typ better on the keyboard,but I am more likely to decide to type something. It is like having a pen that hurts your hand and trying to type with it. Sadly, spelling mistakes have not vanished.

I would say that keyboards are important for development. If you read really old books they were written with the hand and paper and a pen. The hand takes a while to get the writing down. This forces you to think about what you want before you write it. Making corrections is even more of a pain in the carpal tunnel. This method requires more planning.

Keyboards are fast enough to allow an author to write as they think. Well, with practice. It almost as fast as just saying the words out loud.

Saying words out loud (TTS, Text To Speech) does not work. Not for me. I have tried this with several different methods and it always ends up being shit. What comes out is what a say and not what I meant. The method of generating the text does not get it right.l I spend more time correcting the mistakes than if I had just typed it in on the keyboard or, even worse, the on screen keyboard of my phone. If there is so much as a fan running in the next room as background noise, the TTS flips out.

Another problem with TTS is the fact that people don’t want to talk to their devices. When devices develop the ability to have conversations with us it will be different. Right now, if you say something to your device, it has canned responses or very rudimentary, yet complex choices. At some point you will speak with you computer or device about tasks and ideas instead of barking orders at it.

Recently, I has an episode of my wrist hurting. I have been trying different things to identify if something specific is causing an issue. I think this keyboard swap may help.

No comments: