It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-04-13

Stupid story

I have this same stupid story going through my head over and over. Not continuously, but when I stop focusing on other things, this story turns back up. I'm going to write it down just to get it out of my head. The following is pure fiction.

Jiesel

I had this buddy who I've known for years. When he was in high school he bought an old Jeep. It ran like crap. He spent a lot of time and money keeping it on the road. The problem was the engine. It just had problems. When the transmission went out, he parked it. By this time he was working at a mechanic place. He wanted a diesel truck because the place he worked would give him extra work on the side. They couldn't pay cash, but they were giving guys free diesel.

It was lucrative enough to make him look for a cheap diesel truck. He would have killed for a Dodge. That was not in the stars. He found a Mitsubishi flatbed that someone had tried to weld the frame and basically ruined it. It didn't have that may miles. He knew how to weld and do a bunch of the work to pull the engine. He only paid $500 for the truck if I remember right.

He pulled the engine and tranny. He set it in his garage and set to work getting the Jeep ready. It turned out he had to move the transfer case. He could have hooked it up two wheel drive. That wasn't his stile. He wanted a 4x4. It took him some favors, but he got the three drive shafts made for pennies on the dollar. Once all that was done it was a snap rewiring and converting this and that so the engine Japanese would work in the Jeep. It was a project that took a month or two.

I remember the day he first fired it up and drove it around the block. Ran like a top. A smelly noisy top. It took him a long time to get the exhaust up to snuff. Once he did though, the mileage went up. Even with the rigged exhaust, he got pretty good mileage. When all was said and done he went from 12 miles per gallon to over 19. That is with four wheel drive. Not too bad. Considering he got a bunch of free diesel, it was a fantastic deal.

I wonder what happened to that crazy bastard and his Frankenstein Jiesel.

No comments: